Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rigatoni with Spicy Sausage and Beans, p.61

I was pleasantly surprised by this meal and honestly if there wasn't a mouth-watering picture beside it I wouldn't have wanted to make it.  Who puts kale with red beans?  Not I!  Also, looking at the ingredients I was thinking, how will this be enough to feed my family, but it turned out to be perfect with leftovers! So, now you know what I'll be eating later today!  And for only 8 pts for a cup and a half serving I'm a happy girl!

The 5 Ingredients

 The Final Dish

I did add the "Simple Additions" of garlic and red pepper flakes that they suggested in the book.  The garlic gave it more depth and of course I added a couple pinches salt.  Everything is low sodium and they don't suggest ONE pinch of salt?  C'mon!  If you are giving this to young children, I recommend using mild sausage, which is what I did.  And when cooking you'll need to cook a little longer than the instructions say.  I cooked them whole (b/c if you cut them while raw they smoosh all up and make a big ol' mess), then sliced it and cooked it a few minutes longer to be sure we weren't fighting over the toilet later.  Oh and if you want to play a joke on your husband, only add the red pepper flakes to his bowl and watch him sweat and leave the table with a runny nose while you and the kids are totallly fine!  Love when that happens.

I will be making this again.  It was fast, easy, and different from our normal dinners.  I rarely get to use kale but I like it a lot and it's so good for you!  Enjoy!!

1 comment: