Friday, February 18, 2011

Braised Beef Shanks with Wine and Shallots, p. 47

If you want an easy, crock pot meal... this will be a great one for you!  Only thing, leave time for the prep.  You have to brown the shanks and onions before moving to a crock pot or dutch oven.  The recipe uses a dutch oven but I don't have one so I used my crock pot on low ALL day.  The result was extremely tender beef with flavors galore.  You got yourself a hearty din-din with this meal at 7 pps per serving.  

The 5 Ingredients (what they were suppose to be): beef shanks, shallots, canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes (I used ones with oregano, garlic, basil), red wine, beef broth (I used chicken because that's what I had).


 The Final Dish:


Yum-mo!  My husband loved this because usually beef from the crock pot, no matter what you do to it, tastes like a pot roast.  Not these shanks and I'll shank you if you say different!  I browned the meat, onions, then added the wine and chicken broth (according to the recipe). Now hold onto yourself because here's where it gets exciting.  I added a tablespoon of tomato paste and two beef bullion cubes!  Oh Em Gee!  With the recipe's dutch oven route the dish will cook in an hour and a half.  My way, I had it all in the crockpot by about 10am on low.  About 5pm I changed the setting to 'keep warm' so they didn't over cook. 

I served this over brown rice and my whole family loved it for two nights!  Winner!!!  Will I make this again?  Don't make me shank you for asking!  Of course I will.  (Sorry, I can't help myself with the shankin' pun.)

1 comment:

  1. I hope our meeting place has the book tomorrow! I want to make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete